Monday, December 29, 2014

Young Sherlock Holmes: Knife Edge

Young Sherlock Holmes: Knife Edge: A Penny Dreadful Review

            At a recent convention, a well-known author handed me a free book. Normally, I do not begin reading a series in the middle, but I am never one to turn down free literature. As it turns out, it did not particularly matter that I had not read the previous novels, because the Young Sherlock Holmes books are almost as episodic as the original stories. My freebie was a self-contained adventure, and quite captivating.
            The young Mr. Holmes returns from adventures abroad to find his brother Mycroft waiting for him in Galway. They are there to investigate a medium who claims to be able to communicate with dead spies. The young Sherlock Holmes displays a germ of the deduction and intelligence we adore in his adult form, but tempered with the adorable optimism of youth. The story features a mysterious castle for him to explore, a little hint of romance, and, of course, a murder to solve. I shan’t spoil it by elaborating further.
            I give Knife Edge four gears out of five. I would definitely seek out the rest of this series. I love a satisfying adventure and mystery, and this fits the bill neatly.

Your Correspondent From The Bookstore,

Penny J. Merriweather

No comments:

Post a Comment