Monday, June 1, 2015

Steampunk Red Riding Hood

Steampunk Red Riding Hood: A Penny Dreadful Review

            The worst wolves are often human. In Rod Espinosa’s Steampunk Red Riding Hood, he keeps you guessing. If you are looking for a straight re-telling of “Red Riding Hood” with some Steampunk decoration, this isn’t what you want. Mr. Espinosa uses the familiar tale as a jumping off point and presents something new and fun.
            Little Red and her grandmother protect villages from a pack of anthropomorphic talking wolves. There are some really cool fight scenes, and I love Grandmother’s house, which is less of a cabin in the woods and more of a tank/caravan armed with sonic bombs. Upon returning to her home, Little Red encounters the real wolf: her brutish, abusive father. I won’t say anything more about the plot, or I’ll spoil it.
            I love this little comic. It doesn’t go where the reader expects, and I quite enjoy the fantasy world Rod Espinosa created here. I give it four and a half gears out of five. I demand a sequel!

Your Correspondent From The Bookstore,

Penny J. Merriweather

No comments:

Post a Comment