Monday, May 4, 2015

Airship Shape & Bristol Fashion

Airship Shape & Bristol Fashion: A Penny Dreadful Review

          I have never been to Bristol, but after reading this anthology I feel as if I have. Or at least, I have visited several Steampunk alternatives thereof. Airship Shape & Bristol Fashion contains a variety of delightful works from the dark to the hilarious. The stories take the reader to strange pasts and even stranger futures. They star freedom fighters and forward thinkers, tinkerers and dreamers.
         Every story has its merits. There isn’t a rotten apple in this barrel. I feel that a few works deserve a special mention for being especially delectable.
          I gleefully devoured "Brassworth," by Christine Morgan, the tale of a society rake acquiring an impeccable clockwork valet. It's rather posh and Jeeves and Wooster. Quite the thing.
          In contrast, "The Girl With Red Hair," by Myfanwy Rodman, is a dreamy, gorgeous concoction of aetheric science, a bit of magic, and a woman determined to solve a mystery. It was beautiful.
          I found the send up of the narrative style of Victorian adventure tales in "The Sound of Gyroscopes," by Jonathan L. Howard to be absolutely hilarious.
          Finally, "The Lanterns of Death Affair," by Andy Bigwood, is a marvelous adventure. It is the last story in the book, and they have certainly saved the best for last. It has everything. Danger! Romance! Airships! Naval officers!
          I give this excellent anthology four gears out of five. I strongly recommend a visit to Bristol in Airship Shape & Bristol Fashion.

Your Correspondent from the Bookstore,
Penny J. Merriweather


No comments:

Post a Comment