Monday, October 6, 2014

Zombies At Tiffany's

Zombies at Tiffany's: A Penny Dreadful Review

            I must admit to judging a book by its cover. I found myself browsing in a bookshop, and I came across a colorful depiction of the undead. In front of the lurching crowd stood a young woman in a red gown wearing a back-mounted machine gun. This young lady has a look on her face that says, “Here we go again.” I had to pick up this slim little novel and find out what this was all about.
            The volume I investigated was Zombies at Tiffany’s, by Sam Stone. I purchased it, and eight hours later, I’d finished reading it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Set during the American Civil War, it follows an ordinary shop girl named Kat Lightfoot as a horrifying darkness from the front lines invades New York. She discovers a small cat named Holly, who is quite important. I would spoil the most wonderful part of the story if I explained why.
            Even if you have tired of the walking dead lurking on every shelf of the bookstore, this is worth a read. Sam Stone is a writer with a gift for the comedic and the horrific. Kat’s point of view is straightforward and usually funny, despite the zombies that invade her world. I confess that I had nightmares after reading this book. Sam Stone’s zombies are terrifying. They talk and they have a sick sort of hive mind. It’s quite disturbing.
            I give this excellent little adventure four gears out of five. The prose is entertaining and the characters vivid. Unfortunately, I was able to devour Zombies at Tiffany’s in the space of a night. Fortunately, it is the beginning of a series…

Your Correspondent From The Bookstore,

Penny J. Merriweather

No comments:

Post a Comment